Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cheezy Poofs?

So I was reading the USA Today while eating my pop tarts this morning that I came across an interesting article. The article was about kids choice of genetically modified snacks and obesity. A recent study had been conducted on children concluded that after the second or third trial of a food, the child became addicted to the food. The research had discovered that some of these genetically modified snacks had traces of chemicals that are sometimes used in addicting drugs.

I was amazed to find out about this. I mean I think it's ok for people to eat snacks all they want. I'm a snack lover myself, but to find out that some addictions of snacks come from people not being able to break a physical or mental addiction to that snack due to some drugs is ridiculous. People need to start investigating into what food they give their children. Now I'm ok with the whole organic thing. I love the idea of natural foods being created by natural processes. But as a future parent, I don't believe how the parents could just let their children continue to eat this stuff. I realize a lot of parents don't really have a choice what their children eat due to the offerings at school, or what happens while they are gone, but parents should complain or do something. This isn't just a parents job though, but the government should take part in this as well. The government should regulate what kinds of chemicals are actually being used in the products. Their maybe thousands of chemicals that are put into a genetically modified food substance, but the job of the government is to protect the people from foreign and domestic issues.

Overall, I believe that parents should start complaining about these issues. I wouldn't stand for having a food whose addiction could lead to one of the most common health disease in children today. Parents, I urge you to take a stand against this atrocity. I know that a lot of people have already begun to push and fight against
the issue, which I applaud those that have, but this is a national, if not global health issue that must be resolved!

No comments:

Post a Comment